Sunday, April 15, 2012

No, Thank You for Asking, But I'm Not Ten Months Old

It's well documented that Cami is a huge baby.  But, since she's my "normal", it's hilarious to me when we go out and about people are shocked that she's only 4.5 months old (we've been offered high chairs and kids menus...really?).  Yesterday, my mom and I took Cami to the mall and decided to give the whole front facing stroller idea a try (I may or may not have gotten a little teary eyed that she wasn't facing me).  Cami LOVED it.  She was showing off for people who smiled at her and smiled right back and basically had a grin on her face the majority of the ride.  It was a whole new world for her.
Another whole new world for Cami is the idea of "up."  She has become obsessed with looking at lights and fans, particularly dark ones.  It keeps me on my toes because she may suddenly decide to fling her entire body backwards in my arms to look up at one.  Usually, with a huge smile on her face like that light is her best friend in the whole world.
And the last whole new world for Cami is a more tedious one for Mommy and Daddy.  Cami has become super social.  She loves "talking" (she may or may not have said uh-oh and mama....we're not sure if it was an accident or not), smiling, has a crazy old man laugh, and examining everything is her range of sight.  While it's awesome to see her making connections and having fun during her awake time, guess what that means when nap time comes?  Yep, our super sleeper who loves to snuggle and she peacefully begins to doze in your arms now cries.  And thrashes.  And hits herself in the face (sigh).  All in the hope to get to stay awake.  Luckily, James (in his infinite lack of stress over crying that I hope to achieve one day), found a secret.  Don't react at all.  Don't shush, don't snuggle, and just keep rocking and she calms down quite a bit faster.  Quite behavioristic of him, and it seems to work.  I'm hoping this is just a phase and my little sweet snuggler will return to me for some quiet rocking in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment